Thursday, December 22, 2005

Did you do something about it?

I was reading comments on one of the Jithu's blogs and I got this inspiration to write about this:

I saw Yuva movie, i think last year, in the theater, and at the end of the movie, I was hoping that our yuth would get a message this movie sends out. our indian people complain about politics this and corruption that, and our police system another that! I would like to ask the same question to those complaining, whining people: ok, so what do you do about it? What is your effort to make these systems right? They- the self proclaimed "elites", would not even go to cast their vote where they directly can do something about it! and the more interesting thing is, they would take pride in not casting any vote!! Do these people have any right to whine?

I had seen this commercial on tv sometimes ago on tv: They show in girls' bathroom in some college dorms, and one of the sink taps was running without any person around it. Everyone gathers around that sink and starts complaining- ooh, someone left this tap running.. ohh, it's so wrong.. it's such a waste of natural resources.. and just kept gossiping-murmering-complaining. and finally there comes one bold girl and just turns the tap off! and the caption comes on the screen: "don't complain, do something about it. did you do something about it?"

9 comments:

mermaid said...

Venua, I hear you. Your point is well taken. My husband and I tease my in-laws whenever they visit from India about the corrupt society there. However, we do nothing about it. My in-laws also pointed out the flaws of America. Bottom line is as you asked, "What are YOU going to do about it???"

Khakra said...

shush venus, your passion is rocking the house! The mass will never agree on a single topic, so disagreements will always take place. It's unfair to tell whinging champs that they don't have a right to cast their complains, also opinions, because freedom of speech forms the basis of a true democracy. One such famous whiner P Sainath, but he informs people about problems. He just observes, does nothing about it. As is works with me, I got into a duel with him over the phone once about this same issue, but the guy has good intentions.

What people can do is a whole another thing -- if you say something, do it. Volunteer, whatever. I agree with you on that. Though, casting a vote doesn't necessarily add to the whole democracy stigma.. paying tax and other items mean citizenry as well.

Sorry for this potty humor -- potties usually flush excess water, major waste of natural resources. But I love that sign on top of the pot: "DANGER: DO NOT DRINK THIS WATER"?

Sujith said...

yeah i agree to that. most of the times we just babble than act. needs a strong drive from everyone's self to change this situation.

btw venus, wishing u a merry christmas and a happy new year!

venus said...

M:
yeah, no system is perfect, and there is always a space for improvement. An ideal system is a myth! but if we have an ideal as our goal, it gives us at least a direction to move forward to!

K:
I am known as quite passionate :-)
I think, even enlighting people of their problems is a step towards the goal. One has to identify a flaw in order to do something about it!

I know, but again, if you know this proverb: 'pebble by pebble you can build a dam!'
one vote also counts in democracy :)

venus said...

j:
Merry xmas to you, and wish you a very happy new year!

Anonymous said...

yeah its always so common to just talk about it and well do nothing.. sometimes maybe because nothing might come out of it and no one wants to get their hands dirty.... I guess we take a lot for granted..

have you watched Apharan ?

venus said...

pallavi:
naah, Apharan is in my next hindi movie list, I was waiting for it to come in the theater here, but I guess, it's not coming now, so will watch it on dvd.

yeah, exactly, no one wants to get their hands dirty!

-Poison- said...

i have voted for every election which took place after i turned 18.

voting in india is more like choosing the lesser evil of the lot....

venus said...

Poison:
That is what every proactive citizen would do, perform the voting right, you are doing the right thig!